Sunday, October 12, 2008

Comfort Food

Mmmmmm, roast beast, potatoes and gravy. This is my comfort food. Nearly every Sunday growing up my mother would put a roast in the oven to cook while we went to church. The smells that bombarded us as we walked into the door after three hours of church were heavenly. I can remember this so easily because my "wife and I" (TM) still carry on the tradition. I also still carry on the tradition of picking at the roast just after church before the meal is prepared. I just cant help myself the aroma is just too alluring. Ohhh and then the mashed potatoes. I am definitely a potato guy. Then there is the gravy. This meal is perhaps the most perfect meal there is. Shaila thought that I should have added salad to the picture for the colors. I told her that it takes away from the appeal. This meal may be a little gender sensitive.

Matt's Mashed Potatoes
-7 Regular Sized potatoes peeled and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
-1 Cube salted butter
- Salt
- Pepper
- Milk
- Seasoned Salt
- Garlic Powder

1. Boil potatoes until soft
2. Strain potatoes
3. Add potatoes butter and milk to mixing bowl. Right now you are asking how much milk? Well welcome to Matt's recipes. I start with about 1/4 cup of milk depending on the potatoes. Then mix with a hand held mixer. I check the consistency and then add more milk if needed to get the desired "fluffiness"
4. Add season salt and garlic powder. Again I do not have a measured amount used. Remember though that garlic is strong and you only need a small amount. Mix again.
5. Salt and pepper to desired taste while mixing. *Advice: Do NOT taste while mixing!!

Shaila's Gravy
- Meat Drippings from Roast
- 1 cup cold water mixed with 2~3 tablespoons flour
- Dash of garlic powder
- Pinch of Dill Weed
- Salt and pepper to taste

Roast cooked in a crock pot with Lipton onion soup and 2 cups water on high for 2 hours then low until nice and tender.

Using baster, take out drippings from pan, leaving fat/oil. Bring drippings to boil over medium heat. Stir in water/flour mixture. Bring to boil. Add seasonings to taste. Perfect!!

7 comments:

Marion said...

My question is........did you make this meal or did Shaila? And where is the roll recipe, Chef Matt? I want the step by step pictures of you making them! Kidding aside, I know what you mean about roast and Sundays. My Mom did the same thing. I'd have it every Sunday if Hubby would agree!

melanie said...

Sundays at my grandmas always, always included this meal. I swear they ate it for 54 years, week in, week out. You would have totally gotten along with my grandpa, he picked at the roast too.

Looks good Lou. I agree with the color comment. :)

Anonymous said...

Dude. you trying to kill me with that. especially right before lunch.. so good.

Bethany said...

Matt, I never knew you were such a good cook. I LOVE roast and mashed potatoes, but a certain somebody doesn't like them. Can you believe that? Who doesn't like roast? Well, Jason doesn't. Poor me...the sacrifices I make for that man. I'm going to rebel someday and make it anyway because it really is soooo good.

Laura Lei said...

Matt, sign me up. I have tons of recipes to share (maybe not tons, but some). Let me know when I can contribute.

melanie said...

More recipes please.....

Marion said...

I'm waiting for more recipes! Chop, Chop, Chef Matt!