Friday, October 10, 2008

Apple Crisp with a twist

O.K. I was at the store the other night and saw a ready made package of apple crisp (just add apples) I tossed it in the cart. Shaila told me that its just as easy to make from scratch. So I surfed around and found a recipe that I could expand on. I liked this recipe because it includes nutmeg. Here is the recipe:

-8 Large Apples
-10 tablespoon butter
-1/2 cup rolled oats
-3/4 cup flour
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
What I added:
-1/2 lime squeezed onto apples
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-carmel drizzled ontop after cooked

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. place peeled apple slices in 9x13 pan
3. Mix dry ingredients and add butter (cold) and work with a pastry cutter.
4. Spread crumb mixture on top of apples.
5. Cook for 50-55 min.

This is a pretty good recipe. I used golden delicious apples and liked the taste but the apples turned pretty soft so you may want to experiment with the apple variety. Also, as one can see, I tried to broil the top to make it a little more crisp and it didnt work out so well. This is what the experiments are for. I would also add probably 3 more tablespoons of butter to the dry mixture next time too. Try it out and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

melanie said...

I love apple crisp, it just smells and tastes like fall to me. I made one last week and all 3 big kids turned their nose up at it even with the promise of ice cream to go with it. It was good too and pretty close to this recipe. Mine calls for brown sugar, no lime and we didn't have caramel sauce on top. Sounds good though, I'll have to try it next time. Especially when the kids aren't around (picky little things)!

Laura Lei said...

I'm so glad you started a cooking blog. Especially because I am always making Matt recipes, most notably on the grill.

Marion said...

I'm ever so surprised you added you're own "twist" to the recipe! Thanks for inviting us over to taste test your recipes!! You know I would have given you my honest opinion and then told you what you could have added to make it even better!!! :)