Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dads Salsa


The secret is out! Hopefully my Dad doesn't kill me for this. Technically it's a pico de gallo but the word Salsa is actually just a Spanish, Arabic, and Italian word which can refer to any type of sauce. This is a very good sauce for chips, eggs, and anything else one can think of. I like mine with avocados in it and my sister puts garlic in hers, so you can think of some variations you would like and make a comment.

Recipe
-2 Bundles Cilantro
-8 Green JalapeƱos
-1 Pasilla Pepper
-1 Anaheim Peppers
-8 Roma Tomatoes
-2 Regular Tomatoes
-1 White Onion
-2 Avocados (optional)
-1/2 Fresh Lime

1. Wash all produce
2. Chop and dice the tomatoes (I like smaller pieces which also add more surface area in which the natural juices can be absorbed and released)
3. Chop cilantro.
4. Chop and dice half of the onion.
5. Slice open the peppers and clean out the seeds. IMPORTANT wear gloves while handling the peppers. Also run the jalapeƱos under hot water to take some of the heat away, if so desired.
6. Chop and dice peppers.
7. Add all cut ingredients. stir.
8. Squeeze lime half into mixture
9. Salt to taste.
10. Chop and dice avocado. I usually do this to the portion I plan to eat because avocados deteriorate so quickly.

2 comments:

Laura Lei said...

Yum...I love this recipe. Ever since I had it with avocados, I can't imagine it without them.

melanie said...

Yum! I love salsa/pico de gallo with avocados. Make this when you come home, k?